Wednesday 25 June 2008

The beginning of the middle


In my last post I explained how my three years of evening classes have now come to an end: the end of the beginning. Now I have to start a new phase, one that can perhaps be called the beginning of the middle! I've had a few thoughts about how to provide some structure to my jewellery making activity in the absence of a weekly class:

* Prepare a list of techniques to try, and then select perhaps two or three to attempt in a year

* Write my own briefs. These will lack the assessment criteria that were included in the real ones, but will include well defined targets so that it is clear I've done what I set out to do. The aim would be to prepare a brief long before following it, to avoid writing a brief to fit with something I've already thought about too much!

* Prepare mood boards, colour collages and other design aids, ideally as part of an Internet workalong, where others are engaged in the same task. Is anyone aware of anything like this going on?

* Enter competitions and challenges

* Prepare online tutorials for the blog and investigate the feasibility of submitting a project tutorial to a magazine.

* Attend the odd workshop

Can anyone offer any more suggestions or experiences?

4 comments:

Mariana said...

Im kinda new so I wouldnt know what to tell you. However, I do think mood boards and sort of e-pin boards help a lot... I have a folder on my computer of things that i see (can be anything really) that has a shape, color, form...whatever, that I might like and think can help later. Very useful.

I think the best is to get involved and out there...as much as possible. it' s not just " to sell" but to learn from others, meet people... ya know...interaction can teach a lot.
Good luck!

Robyn said...

I'm just catching on to what a mood board is, and I think those seem like good ideas. Is there any way you can gather some of your old classmates and have the jewelry-making equivalent of a creative writing workshop, where you come with things you've done, talk about them, talk about your idea, and maybe even do some jewelry-making together? Talking through sticking points, or just being creative together can be a huge help!

Anonymous said...

I'm just catching on to what a mood board is, and I think those seem like good ideas. Is there any way you can gather some of your old classmates and have the jewelry-making equivalent of a creative writing workshop, where you come with things you've done, talk about them, talk about your idea, and maybe even do some jewelry-making together? Talking through sticking points, or just being creative together can be a huge help!

breezily said...

Thank you Marian and Robyn for your comments. Glad you like the mood board plan! And that is a really good point from both of you about the need to keep interacting with other people.