Saturday 3 May 2008

Nigel Hall at the YSP

There's an exhibition of work by Nigel Hall currently on at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. I haven't seen all of it yet, but I enjoyed the parts I saw very much. Work from 1965 to 2008 is included, and there is a great variety from drawings to huge sculptures. There is a geometrical theme that appeals to me.

"Slow motion" is a 5 m tall sculpture featuring several ellipses arranged in a 3D shape. The sculpture looks different from different viewpoints and from different directions. I was sure that it was really made up of circles, which looked like ellipses because of the angle, until I got closer. Apart from the size, it has a jewellery-like form. There is a picture of it in the Nigel Hall Resource Room boards document, which can be downloaded from here (bottom of page).


A back of a brown paper bag sketch - I really must get into the habit of carrying a sketch book!

I was very taken with a wall-mounted metal rod construction, which was made complete by the shadows it cast. My sketch completely fails to capture the 3D nature of the structure (which is why I'm not worried about the copyright issues of posting it here!), but I found this inspiring. I like the idea of making a wire framework, where both the original and the shadow are made in wire.

The exhibition continues until early June, so I must go back and see the rest.

No comments: