Wednesday 30 January 2008

Easy oval links for a chain

I am starting to make a bespoke chain for my fold-formed pendant. The chain will have a few large oval links, and I have started to make these following the method on p110 of Elizabeth Olver's Jewellery Making Techniques Book


I was delighted to discover how easy this was, assuming access to the necessary tools, as I had been worried I'd have to pierce the ovals. In fact they are made using soldered jump rings. You then roll each ring in the rolling mill, and miraculously out comes a beautiful oval. I used 2 mm round wire wound on a 6 mm knitting needle to form my rings.



I chose to hammer the links so that they go well with the pendant, but they looked pretty good before hammering. I am now going to decide how best to link them together.

No comments: